Nutella is known and enjoyed all over the world. I like it simply spread on my toast or pancakes in the morning. If I want to be a bit more creative, I will add some slices of banana and a sprinkle of dried desiccated coconut.
Today’s recipe is inspired by my youngest daughter who is allergic to nuts and told her sister and I at breakfast this morning that she wished she could eat Nutella too.
Preparing your own chocolate spreads is not only satisfying but also allows you to control what ingredients into your food. Some people might be lactose intolerant and would want a version without milk, some might not want to use palm oil for environmental reasons, and others like my daughter might have a strong allergy to hazelnuts.
This recipe is vegan, nut-free, super simple to make, tastes great, and only requires 4 ingredients. I’ve coined it NutlessEla!
The following measures will yield approximately 4.5 cups of chocolate spread:
- 1 cup (128 g) of dark chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 3 ripe avocados
- 4 tbs of Maple Syrup
Dark Chocolate Spread Recipe
Melt the dark chocolate in a saucepan over low heat (you can also melt it in the microwave using a safe bowl)
Remove the stone from the avocados and cut them into slices
Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend for about 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth like peanut butter.
The best way to enjoy this spread is on toast, scones, or muffins. But you can also just have a spoonful straight from the jar!
Happy eating everyone 🙂
Store your homemade chocolate spread in an air-tight jar and keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Dark Chocolate Spread Variations
Dark chocolate hazelnut spread
If nuts are not a problem for you, then you can use the following recipe for something that tastes closer to Nutella:
- 1 cup of slightly roasted hazelnuts (skin removed)
- 1 tbs of melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of melted dark chocolate
- 1 tbs of vanilla
- 4 tbs of almond milk or coconut milk or regular dairy milk
For this recipe, first, add the hazelnuts and oil to the food processor and blend for about 4-5 minutes until the mixture is smooth.
Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend for a further 2 – 3 minutes until the mixture is as smooth as Nutella.
White chocolate spread
I can also try the same recipe by using white chocolate instead of the dark one if you prefer that kind of chocolate.
How to Serve Dark Chocolate Spread
Nutella sandwich with sliced banana
Nutella sandwich is delicious and one of my favorite ways to eat my homemade Nutella. All the ingredients you need are:
- Homemade NutlessEla or chocolate hazelnut spread
- Slice bread
- 1 medium banana
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 egg
Nutella Sandwich Recipe steps
- In a bowl, lightly beat the milk and egg, and dip the slices of bread in it.
- Slice the banana into small coin-sized pieces
- In a frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat, then put the two slices of bread and let them brown.
- When cooked, spread the bread with NutlessEla or chocolate hazelnut spread, put the sliced bananas on one, and cover with the other.
- Enjoy warm, with a good homemade hot chocolate.
Equipment Needed for homemade chocolate spread
- Food processor or high powered blender
Recipe Ideas With Dark Chocolate Spread
Once you have made your dark chocolate spread, your options for recipes are endless. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Mini Nutella filled doughnuts
- Nutella pancakes
- Nutella brownies
- Nutella and raspberry swirl bread
- No-bake Nutella bites
- Folded Nutella cookies