One thing that I love about weekends, is getting up in the morning and cooking pancakes for breakfast. I like to experiment a little with my pancakes and my children have their favorite ones.
This is a great recipe that has been inspired by a very popular recipe in France which is crepes spread with Nutella. Welcome to the Nutella stuffed mini pancakes. These pancakes are easy to make and are absolutely delicious.
Rather than using store-bought Nutella, I would recommend that make your own dark chocolate spread.
The Nutella pancake is one of the few foods I won’t say “drown with copious amounts of maple syrup, butter, and cream. The texture isn’t perfect but it tastes great so who really cares?”
For this recipe to be successful, you must measure the ingredients and prepare them well before starting the recipe. You must also respect the time and temperature of cooking, so follow the steps described below closely.
Ingredients for Nutella Pancakes
- 15 tbsp of Nutella or homemade dark chocolate spread
- 1 cup (130 g) of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (150 ml) of whole milk
- 1 tsp butter
- Vanilla extract (optional)
Nutella Stuffed Mini Pancakes Recipe
Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, put 2 heaps of Nutella and try to spread them by forming small discs with the back of the spoon.
Put in the freezer for 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl whisk the egg with the sugar (you can either use an electric mixer or a hand whisk). Add the milk and vanilla extract, and mix well. Add the flour and the baking powder. Mix well to avoid lumps. The batter should be thick and a little sticky.
Melt the butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat. When melted, wipe the excess butter with a paper towel.
For each pancake, scoop a dollop (1/4 cup) of the pancake batter into the heated frying pan, then quickly place a disk of frozen Nutella in the center without pressing down too hard and pour the remaining batter on top until the Nutella is completely covered.
Let it cook until you see a few bubbles start to appear (after about 2 minutes) and then flip over and cook until both sides are golden brown.
Place each of these delicious fluffy pancakes with oozy Nutella on a warm plate and cover with foil to keep them warm until you’re ready to eat them.
Nutella Pancake Tips
- Keep the Nutella discs in the freezer until they are ready to use, as once they thaw, they are very difficult to remove from the parchment paper.
- Make sure, you place the Nutella discs in the center of the batter so that they do not spill out into the frying pan. If Nutella does spill into the frying pan, make sure you wipe it off before frying any more pancakes to make sure you don’t get any burnt bits in your batter.
- Try to wipe off most of the butter when greasing the pan. This will help to make sure your first pancakes are just at pillowy soft and brown as the rest of the pancakes.
- If you want to make these Nutella pancakes extra fluffy and pillowy soft, separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and whisk until they become stiff before adding to the batter.
- Although these Nutella pancakes taste amazing, they are not the healthiest when it comes down to nutrition per pancake, this is especially true if you are using the store-bought Nutella. This is why I would recommend making them small and not overindulging! To make this a healthier version, try making your own Nutella or simply substituting the Nutella disc with a square or two of dark chocolate.