Danish pancakes, also known as æbleskiver, are a beloved breakfast treat that originated in Denmark. These fluffy, spherical pancakes are enjoyed by people of all ages and are perfect for special occasions or leisurely weekend mornings.
In this article, we will explore a delicious Danish pancakes recipe that will surely impress your family and friends.
To prepare this delightful breakfast dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3-3/4 cups vanilla ice cream
- Fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries
Danish pancakes recipe
Follow these simple steps to create these delectable Danish pancakes:
Step 1: Whisk the Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and melted butter until well combined.
Step 2: Mix in the Dry Ingredients
In a separate small bowl, mix together the flour and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Add this dry mixture to the bowl of wet ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the batter for 1 hour to allow it to rest and develop its flavors.
Step 3: Heat the Skillet
Heat a lightly greased 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Step 4: Cook the Pancakes
Stir the batter before using. Fill a 1/4-cup measure three-fourths full with batter and pour it into the center of the skillet. Quickly lift, tilt, and rotate the skillet to evenly coat the bottom with batter.
Cook until the top of the pancake appears dry, then carefully flip it over and cook for an additional 15-20 seconds until the bottom is cooked to a golden brown.
Remove the pancake from the skillet and place it on a wire rack. Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar. Repeat this process with the remaining batter and sugar, greasing the skillet as needed.
Step 5: Assemble and Serve
Once the pancakes have cooled, stack them with pieces of waxed paper or paper towels in between to prevent sticking. Top each pancake with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and roll it up. Finally, garnish with fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Experiment with fillings: Danish pancakes are incredibly versatile and can be filled with a variety of delicious ingredients. Consider filling them with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, jam, honey, Nutella, peanut butter, coconut, cranberries, raisins, blueberries, or even pie fillings.
- Avoid discoloration: If using frozen blueberries, it’s best to use them without thawing to prevent the batter from discoloring.
- Get creative with toppings: In addition to fresh berries, feel free to add other toppings like whipped cream, powdered sugar, maple syrup, or even a drizzle of caramel sauce for an extra touch of sweetness.