Are you looking for a flavorful and convenient meal that can be prepared in advance? Look no further than this spicy brown mustard chicken recipe. With its bold and tangy flavors, this dish is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Whether you’re meal prepping for the week or simply looking for a quick and delicious dinner option, this recipe is a winner.
Ingredients for Spicy Mustard Chicken
To make this mouthwatering dish, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup of yellow mustard or coarse ground mustard
- 1/4 cup of raw organic honey
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of cayenne for an extra kick
Marinating the Chicken
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Alternatively, if you have a grill, use it instead for even more flavor.
- In a large bowl, combine the yellow mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, minced garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne (if desired). Mix well to create a marinade.
- Place the chicken breasts in a plastic bag and add about two-thirds of the marinade. Seal the bag and mix the chicken with the marinade, ensuring each piece is coated. Allow the chicken to marinate for approximately 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the chicken from the bag and place it on the grill or a baking sheet if using the oven. Cook for 10 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While grilling or baking the chicken, brush the remaining marinade on the chicken after flipping it for the first time. This will add an extra layer of flavor.
Versatility and Serving Suggestions
The beauty of this spicy mustard chicken recipe is its versatility. Once cooked, you can use the chicken in various ways to create delicious meals throughout the week. Here are a few ideas:
- Serve the chicken with a side of rice and steamed vegetables for a complete and balanced meal.
- Slice the chicken and use it as a protein-packed topping for salads. Combine it with fresh greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and your favorite dressing for a satisfying lunch.
- Add the chicken to wraps or sandwiches for a flavorful and filling lunch option.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and use it as a protein component in stir-fries or pasta dishes.
Tips and Tricks for Meal Prepping
Meal prepping can be a game-changer when it comes to saving time and staying on track with your healthy eating goals. Here are a few tips to make the most out of your meal prep with this spicy mustard chicken recipe:
- Portion Control: Divide the cooked chicken into individual serving sizes before storing it in the refrigerator or freezer. This will make it easier to grab and go when you need a quick meal.
- Freezing: If you’re not planning to consume all the chicken within a few days, it’s best to freeze it. Make sure to freeze the chicken in airtight containers or freezer bags to maintain its flavor and texture.
- Labeling: Always label your meal prep containers with the date and contents to ensure freshness and avoid confusion.
- Reheating: When reheating the chicken, be careful not to overcook it, as it may become dry. Use the microwave or stovetop to gently warm it up.
- Customization: Feel free to customize the recipe to suit your taste preferences. Adjust the amount of mustard, honey, or spices to create a flavor profile that you enjoy.