Looking for a delicious and creamy frosting for your dessert cuisine without using dairy products?
This vegan cream cheese frosting recipe is a perfect solution for those who follow a vegan diet or have dairy sensitivities and tastes just as good if not better than regular cream cheese frosting.
It’s easy to make, using simple ingredients, and can be used to top cakes, cupcakes, or even as a filling for cakes and pastries.
Let’s get right into it, let me show you how to make vegan cream cheese frosting!
To make vegan cream cheese frosting you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup dairy free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened (or vegan margarine)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
In a large mixing bowl, beat the dairy free cream cheese and vegan butter together with a rubber spatula or high speed mixer until they are smooth and well combined.
Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt to the bowl and beat some more until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
If the frosting is too thick, add a little water or dairy-free milk to thin it out.
There you go, as simple as that! Your homemade vegan cream cheese frosting is now ready to use with your favorite vegan cakes or cupcakes.
Here are some of my favorite dessert cuisine to serve vegan cream cheese frosting with:
- Carrot cake cupcakes
- Vegan cinnamon rolls
- Red velvet cake
- Chocolate cake
Expert Tips and substitutes
Raw Maple syrup: you can substitute the powdered sugar with maple syrup if you’re looking for a refined sugar free recipe.
Coconut oil: if you are having trouble finding vegan butter, you can replace it with coconut oil.
Avocado: Avocado is an excellent cream cheese substitute. You just need to mash up the avocado, add some black salt, nutritional yeast and a squeeze of lemon juice.
how to get the perfect texture of vegan cream cheese frosting?
- Start with room temperature ingredients: Make sure the vegan cream cheese and non-dairy milk are at room temperature before making the frosting. This will help to avoid lumps and ensure a smooth consistency.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar: Start by adding small amounts of powdered sugar at a time, and mix until well combined before adding more. This will prevent the frosting from becoming too thick or lumpy.
- Use a high-speed mixer: A stand mixer or hand mixer with a high speed setting can help to incorporate the ingredients better and produce a smoother frosting.
- Add liquid sparingly: Add non-dairy milk sparingly to the frosting, a little bit at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. Be careful not to add too much, as this will make the frosting too thin.
- Chill if needed: If the frosting is too soft, chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour, then bring it to room temperature and mix again until smooth.
Can you store vegan cream cheese frosting in the fridge?
Vegan cream cheese frosting can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will keep for up to a week.
Before using, let it come to room temperature and give it a good stir to restore its smooth consistency.
Can you freeze vegan cream cheese frosting?
Yes, you can freeze vegan cream cheese frosting. Place it in a freezer-safe airtight container and freeze for up to three months.
When ready to use, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, and then bring it to room temperature and stir well before using.