Cauliflower pancakes, also known as cauliflower fritters, are a delicious and healthy side dish that even the biggest cauliflower skeptic will enjoy.
This versatile recipe can be made in an air fryer or cooked in a skillet on the stovetop. Whether you’re following a low-carb or gluten-free diet, these savory pancakes are the perfect addition to any meal.
In this ultimate cauliflower pancakes recipe guide, we will explore different variations, cooking methods, and serving suggestions to help you create a mouthwatering dish.
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a moment to appreciate the health benefits of cauliflower. This powerhouse vegetable is packed with essential nutrients, including vitamins C, K, and B6, as well as folate and fiber.
Cauliflower is also rich in antioxidants and contains compounds that may have anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting properties. By incorporating cauliflower into your diet, you can support your overall health and well-being.
To create the perfect cauliflower pancakes, you’ll need a few key ingredients. Here’s a list of what you’ll need, along with the measurements:
- 1 head cauliflower (approximately 8 cups of florets)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon diced shallots
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
Ensure that you have these ingredients ready before you begin preparing the pancakes. Now, let’s move on to the traditional cauliflower pancakes recipe.
Traditional Cauliflower Pancakes Recipe
The traditional cauliflower pancakes recipe is a simple and flavorful option that can be cooked on the stovetop. Follow these steps to create a batch of delicious pancakes:
Cut the cauliflower florets into pieces, discarding the hard stem. Place the remaining pieces in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is broken up into small bits, resembling rice. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, diced shallots, gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the cauliflower to the mixture and stir until well combined.
Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Scoop the batter into the pan in 1/4 cup portions, flattening each pancake with a spatula to create a pancake shape. Cook for approximately 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more avocado oil to the pan as needed.
Serve the cauliflower pancakes warm, and enjoy!
Air Fryer Cauliflower Pancakes Recipe
For a convenient and crispy option, try making cauliflower pancakes in an air fryer. Follow these steps for a delicious air fryer variation:
Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
Follow steps 1 and 2 from the traditional recipe to prepare the batter.
Spray the inside of the air fryer basket with olive oil spray.
Scoop the batter into small balls and flatten them with your palms. Place the flattened pancakes in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not overlapping.
Spray the tops of the pancakes with olive oil spray and cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden brown.
Remove the pancakes from the air fryer and repeat the process with the remaining batter.
Serve the air fryer cauliflower pancakes hot and enjoy their crispy texture.
Tips for Perfect Pancakes
To ensure your cauliflower pancakes turn out perfectly every time, here are some helpful tips:
- Use fresh cauliflower: Opt for fresh cauliflower instead of frozen for the best texture and flavor.
- Drain excess moisture: After processing the cauliflower, place it on a tea towel or paper towels and press down to remove any excess moisture. This step will prevent the pancakes from becoming soggy.
- Experiment with seasoning: Feel free to add your favorite herbs and spices to the batter to enhance the flavor. Consider adding garlic powder, paprika, or dried herbs such as parsley or thyme.
- Keep the pancakes small: For easier flipping and even cooking, make the pancakes small, approximately 1/4 cup portions.
- Adjust cooking time and temperature: Cooking times may vary depending on your stove or air fryer, so adjust the temperature and time accordingly to achieve your desired level of crispiness.
Cauliflower pancakes are incredibly versatile and can be served in various ways. Here are some serving suggestions to inspire your culinary creativity:
- Dip them: Serve the pancakes with a side of your favorite dipping sauce, such as tzatziki, aioli, or marinara sauce.
- Top them: Add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt on top of the pancakes, along with some chopped green onions or fresh herbs.
- Pair them: Serve the pancakes as a side dish alongside grilled chicken, fish, or tofu for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Stuff them: Use the pancakes as a base for a delicious sandwich or burger. Add your favorite fillings, such as avocado, lettuce, and tomato, for a flavorful and nutritious meal.