Basmati rice is known for its long, slender grains and fragrant aroma, making it a popular choice for many rice dishes. When combined with the warm and citrusy notes of cardamom, it creates a delightful flavor profile that elevates any meal.
In this article, we will explore a simple yet delicious recipe for basmati rice with cardamom that you can easily prepare at home.
To recreate this flavorful dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower or grapeseed oil
- Salt to taste
Cardamom Basmati Rice
Follow these step-by-step instructions to prepare the basmati rice with cardamom:
Step 1: Parboiling the Rice
- Start by bringing 8½ cups of water to a boil in a large pot with a lid.
- While the water is heating up, drain the white basmati rice in a large fine-mesh sieve or colander. Rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Add the rinsed rice and 1 tablespoon of salt (or 1½ teaspoons of coarse kosher salt or fine salt) to the boiling water.
- Boil the rice uncovered for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the grains seem to have doubled in length.
Step 2: Infusing the Rice with Flavor
- In a small saucepan or kettle, bring 1½ cups of water to a boil and keep it simmering.
- Place the green cardamom pods on a cutting board and lightly crack them with the side of a large knife.
- Drain the parboiled rice and return it to the pot.
- Add the cracked cardamom pods, cumin seeds, and another tablespoon of salt (or 1½ teaspoons of coarse kosher salt or fine salt). Gently mix everything together, taking care not to break the rice grains.
- Drizzle the rice with the sunflower or grapeseed oil and the just-boiled water from the saucepan. Stir gently to coat the rice evenly.
Step 3: Steaming the Rice
- Cover the pot with the lid and cook the rice over high heat until you see steam escaping from beneath the lid. This usually takes about 3 to 6 minutes.
- Once the steam is visible, reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for approximately 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and all the water has evaporated.
- Serve the fragrant and comforting basmati rice with cardamom immediately.
Tips and Variations
- To enhance the flavor of the rice, you can add other aromatic spices such as cinnamon, cloves, or star anise.
- For a festive touch, garnish the cooked rice with slivered almonds or chopped fresh herbs like cilantro or mint.
- This basmati rice with cardamom pairs well with a variety of dishes, both saucy and dry. Consider serving it alongside flavorful curries, grilled meats, or roasted vegetables.