Are you looking for a tasty and easy-to-make vegetarian dish? Look no further than these delicious chickpea fritters!
Chickpeas, also known as Garbanzo beans are packed with protein and make an excellent replacement for meat. These chickpea fritters are sure to be a hit with your vegetarian friends and family.
They make for a great appetizer, side dish, or even a main course. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
They are simple to make and will be ready to serve in under 30 minutes. So let’s not waste any more time and get straight into this recipe!
- 15 ounces of canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour (you can also use gluten free flour)
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, green onions, or basil)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice of garnish (optional)
Chickpea Fritters Recipe
In a medium bowl, mix together the canned chickpeas, flour, chopped fresh herbs, water, garlic, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese, until all the ingredients are well combined.
Using a masher or the back of a fork, mash all the ingredients together until you get a nice smooth mixture.
Divide the chickpea mixture into 6 equal patties
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Place each chickpea pattie into the hot oil and flatten the slightly with the back of a large spoon.
Cook the chickpea fritters for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
Serve the chickpea fritters while they are still hot. You add a few additional finely chopped herbs on top for garnish and sprinkle with a little lemon juice.
How to make chickpea flour?
Another way to make chickpea fritters is to substitute the canned chickpeas and all-purpose flour with chickpea flour – which is also gluten free. You can either buy ready-made chickpea flour or follow these steps to make your own:
To make chickpea flour, you will need dried chickpeas and a food processor or a high-powered blender.
- Start by rinsing and drying the chickpeas.
- Add the chickpeas to the food processor and process until they are finely ground.
- Once the chickpeas are ground, sift the flour through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any larger pieces.
- Store the flour in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
You can now use 1 cup of chickpea flour and combine it with my chickpea fritters recipe above.
How to store chickpea fritters?
To store your leftover chickpea fritters, you should first allow them to cool down completely. Once they are cool, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
You can also freeze the chickpea fritters. To do this, place the fritters in a single layer on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer. Once the chickpea fritters are frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat the chickpea fritters, you can reheat them in the oven, on a skillet, or in the microwave.
What kind of dipping sauce can I make for chickpea fritters?
There are many dips that can be made to go with chickpea fritters. Here are a few options:
- Tzatziki: This is a traditional Greek dip made with yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, and lemon juice.
- Raita: This is an Indian dip made with yogurt, cucumber, and spices such as cumin and coriander.
- Harissa: This is a Tunisian dip made with chili peppers, garlic, olive oil, and spices such as cumin and coriander.
- Hummus: This is a middle-eastern dip made with chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and spices such as cumin and paprika.
- Baba Ghanoush: This is a middle-eastern dip made with eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and spices such as cumin and paprika
- Aioli: This is a Mediterranean dip made with mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Tamarind chutney: This is a sweet and tangy Indian dip. It is made from tamarind, which is soaked and mashed to create a thick paste, and then mixed with sugar, spices, and chili peppers to create a flavorful and complex taste.
All of these dips are delicious with chickpea fritters and you can experiment and pick the one that you like the most.
Medium bowl to mix all of the ingredients together
Masher to mash the chickpeas
Food processor to blend the chickpeas if you are making your own chickpea flour