I love the taste of porridge, but I find that it can get a little boring after a while. This carrot cake twist on your morning meal will liven things right up and give you energy lasting all the way to lunchtime!
Oats are a brilliant base for a nutritious breakfast. They’re budget-friendly, accessible, and easy to cook into comforting steaming bowls of porridge.
If you’re like me and like all things carrot cake, then you will love this recipe!
Ingredients you’ll need for carrot cake porridge
You will need the following ingredients to make this energy-packed vegan carrot cake porridge:
Carrot cake porridge
- 1 cup of rolled oats (gluten-free)
- 1 cup of almond milk (or other vegan milk)
- 2 finely grated carrots
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Carrot cake porridge toppings:
- 2 tbsp cashew butter (follow my recipe on how to make your own nut butter)
- 2 tbsp coconut yogurt
Carrot cake porridge Recipe
Put the rolled oats, almond milk, grated carrot, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, while stirring frequently. Lower to medium heat and cook for another 6 – 7 minutes.
Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the maple syrup. You can add a little more dairy-free milk for your desired consistency.
Pour the carrot cake oatmeal into serving bowls, add the cashew butter and dollop of coconut yogurt, and a pitch of extra-grated carrot.
It’s now time for you to enjoy this super delicious and warming breakfast!
Carrot cake porridge add-ins
You can jazz up your carrot cake oatmeal breakfast even further with some of these add-ins:
- Fresh berries, like blackcurrants and blueberries
- Dried fruits, like raisins, dried cherries or dried cranberries
- Greek yogurt (which is high in vitamin B12) or cream cheese (which is rich in Vitamin A RAE, Vitamin E, Polyunsaturated fat, and Monounsaturated Fat)
- Pumpkin seeds (which are rich in manganese and vitamin K)
Equipment needed for making carrot cake porridge
Nonstick saucepan to cook the carrot cake oatmeal
Wooden spoon to stir the oatmeal